[VAC] refrig

My 1971 Globetrotter has a hole in the floor and through the belly pan
(covered by wire) for air to pass through under the refrigerator.  Was this
something needed for original equipment and is it still necessary?  I
have a
1999 Hornet and it does not have such a vent.  The refrigerator in the
Airstream is not the original and I would rather not have the vent in the
floor if not necessary.  Any thoughts, suggestions, ideas, knowledge would
be greatly appreciated.