[VAC] Univolt Question

I replaced my Univolt with an Intellipower.  In addition to the heavy
gauge positive and negative output wires, the Univolt has a 14-16 ga
white wire connected to what looks like (I'm no electrical engineer) a
large diode.  This wire was connected to a fuse on the distribution
panel.  The wire at the other end of the fuse disappears into the wall.
Can someone tell me what this wire does?  Do I need to connect it to
something now that I have the Intellipower?

My old Univolt is a 75 amp model that seems to work, although I suppose
that it will cook a battery if left on and unattended.  I am replacing
it mainly because of the hum and heat that it generates.  It's mounted
on some vibration isolators that I added to decouple it from the floor
and reduce the noise.   The Univolt is available free-of-charge (you
pick it up in Western MA or pay shipping) if anyone wants to build a
vintage electrical system.  This beast must weigh 40-50 pounds, so
freight might be a bit pricey.  Contact me off list if you're
interested.

Thanks for your help.

Lincoln
1977 Tradewind