[VAC] Re: HW Bypass - Center bath Sovereign

David

I have a 77 31ft Sovereign center bath.  I was able to get a bypass kit
installed but it is a real tight fit.  I had Hunter RV here in Tulsa do the
plumbing.  I did have to remove the panel, and was able to remove it without
taking the toilet out.  I think it had been removed before because there was
a crack along the top where it fit into the bottom part of the sink cabnet.
I had to press down on the flat area to get the panel out. I took it to
Hunter with the panel out and they installed the bypass between the intake
and outlet of the water tank using the existing copper lines.  I cut a hole
about 4 X 4 in the panel directly over the valve which allows me enough room
to reach in with my fingers just enough to move the valve.  You can't see
the hole unless you are in the bathroom at the sink or on the toilet.  It
didn't bother me enough to try to make a covering for the hole using the
piece that I cut out so I left it open.  It is a real tight fit getting the
panel back in place but it is possible.

I hope this makes sense---I know it's a difficult job, but I really like to
be able bypass the hot water tank and pump the lines full of antifreeze when
winterizing.

I was real glad I had the bypass kit when on the first day of a 5 day outing
to TableRock lake over July 4th the water tank failed with a hole in the
tank causing water to "stream" out of the watertank when I turned on the
waterpump.  I just bypassed the hot water tank and could pressurize the
system with no more leak! We had to heat water with the stove for washing
dishes for the next 5 days, used the hot showers provided at the camp
grounds where we were staying  but at least we had water!  I figure the
bypass kit paid for itself that one trip:-)  I do now have a brand new bowen
hot water tank so it should be good for another 25 years I figure.

Dave, it sounds like we have the same models---ours has twin beds in the
back.  I would enjoy  comparing notes with you and would be happy to discuss
the bypass installation over the phone some time if you are interested.

I'm sending this reply to the list in case there are any other 77 Sovereigns
with center bath.  In the future we can communicate direct.

Email me direct at cmgunkel@home.com  or my phone numbers are:
Office  918-492-3034
Home   918-496-1303
Cell    918-402-5147