[VAC] axle replacement

RJ Dial asked about an axle replacement. Here's what I did for my 1953
Flying Cloud, just last week.

My A/S needed brakes. With few parts available for the original axle I
decided to install new backing plates and drums. The old axles bearing
stubs would have a problem matching the new hubs and bearings so I opted to
replace the whole axle. Plus, I wanted to raise the trailer in order to
gain ground clearance and be able to change the tires without using two
jacks. I did this by ordering a straight axle instead of a dropped one like
the original was.

I ordered the axle from my local Dexter dealer. I gave them my measurements
of 53 inches for the spring centers and 74 inches for the brake flange
width. Also, you need to specify where the spring will mount, above or
below the axle. Mine mounts below the axle. I ordered a 6000 pound unit
complete with brakes, drums and lug nuts. After a few days the dealer
called and said Dexter told them in order to have spring centers that are
53 inches apart on a 74 inch axle I would need a "heavy duty" 6000 pound
axle. The difference being the wall thickness of the axle. The HD one has a
1/4 inch wall thickness and cost an extra 15 dollars.

The cost of the axle was $252.40 with $40 freight added on. The axle
arrived in two weeks. I also ordered new Dexter wheel rims at $32 dollars
each. They are 6 X 5 1/2 bolt pattern 6 inch wide trailer wheels for a 6000
pound single axle load. The hanger bolts and plates to fit  the axle are
from Dexter and totaled $20.

I was leery of trying to change the axle myself and contacted a spring shop
where it would have cost about $300 for them to change the axle and make
new springs. Due to the unstable condition of the trailer I was hesitant to
pull the trailer the 25 miles to the spring shop. So after a few weeks of
indecision I got up one morning, jacked up the A/S and cut the bolts off
the axle, undid the shocks and installed the new axle all by myself. I was
done by early afternoon. I used a transmission jack to move both axles, I
could only lift one end of the axle at a time so I was saved by the 4 wheel
jack. Remember to orient the axle so the brake wires enter the back plates
at the rear of the trailer. This is so the brake action applies the shoes
to the drum in a self-actuating mode. The axle installs properly only one way.

I put new Carlisle load range D tires on the rims and crossed my fingers
that the tires would end up in the center of the wheel wells. They did,
perfectly. Now I only need one jack to change tires ... no more tugging to
wrench the tires out from the wheel wells.

So, there you are .... any questions?

I've attached a picture of the axle, if it doesn't load let me know and
I'll send one to your email address.

Bob Patterson

Canton, Ohio

axle.jpg