[VAC] Re: Synthetic transmission oil

Jack,

In some applications many believe that synthetic oils will maintain their
lubricating properties longer than petroleum based lubricants.

However, with an older transmission I don't know whether seals, friction
clutches, and other mystery parts unknown to me will function normally and
avoid leaking.  It might be risky.  We take automatic transmissions for
granted but they are actually a pretty complex piece of machinery.  They
depend upon oil for viscous coupling to transmit energy, to allow clutches
to hold against slippage, to lubricate and cool internal parts, and to build
up sufficient pressure to cause shifts.  Probably other functions that I
have overlooked or may not even be aware of.

A more practical solution to ensure the life of your transmission is
frequent fluid and filter changes using tried and true old-fashioned
dinosaur remains.

Harvey