[VAC] Re: Fw: 1959 Airstream

Title: Re: 1959 Airstream
Carl

In '59 a 120V electric water heater was standard. A manually lit gas water heater was an option. However it seems that very few trailers did not come without the gas option.

In re-reading your post I believe that you do not have the original hot water heater since it has both gas and electric running to it. If it is a traditional RV tank water heater (not a tankless demand heater) either you have a dual (gas & electric) water heater, or an electronic ignition water heater (gas). The switch would either turn on the electric heating element or light the gas pilot. You should have access to the heater from the outside. There HAS to be a vent. It will be located adjacent to the hot water heater on the outside wall of the trailer. See if you can open it. On an original style vent you could remove the lower panel for access. If you have one of the new tankless heaters I cannot help you.

The city/battery switch is most likely either for a vent fan or for a blower motor on the furnace (in either case to switch from 120V to 12V with the aid of a transformer). I highly doubt that the one you describe is for the hot water heater as I have yet to hear of any hot water heater powered by a battery! The switch labeled inverter is somewhat of a mystery to me. Perhaps the previous owner added an inverter. Since I have never had a trailer with an inverter I cannot tell you anything about it except that they did not have such things back in '59. Occasionally you will find a trailer from that era with an optional battery charger, but back then you didn't even have a univolt!

As for the refrigerator. To light the optional gas refrigerator there was a device that you warmed up with a lighter until you heard a "pop". This device controls the flow of propane to the burner, once it popped, you were able to light the burner with a match or lighter. I think that the device was called a clixon valve. It has been so long since I have seen one of these that I do not know how to describe it to you. Open up the access under the refrigerator and look around, it should be apparent where this clixon valve is. This is assuming that you have the original refrigerator. It should be a Dometic with a porcelain door.

Scott Scheuermann
1960 Overlander