[VAC] Re: Advice needed replacing skin

First of all Jeff, it's a very doable job.  Just get the right tools.

1. What gauge aluminum should I purchase?

If you have a 50s or 60s trailer, you should get 1/32" thick aluminum.  You
don't say what year your trailer is but if it is pre-mid 60s, the aluminum
alloy is 2024T3 Alclad.  Some time in the 60s AS changed the type of
aluminum.  I believe you can get this alloy from Aircraft Spruce (on the
web) for example.

2. What type of rivet should be used? (length, size, etc.)

You should use the shaveable rivet that's available from AirstreamDreams
(again, they are on the web).  They have the correct rivet.  I would remove
the elastomer gasket from the rivet and use Vulkem to seal.

3. What is the best tool to cut the stock?

After removing the piece you want to replace, take your new sheet of
aluminum to a sheet metal shop that has a shear large enough to handle your
size.  Have them cut your sheet to the same size as the original.

What other tools do I need?

I would get some Cleco clamps and pliers.  Depending upon how large a piece
you are tackling, get as many Cleos as you can afford.  Ideally, use one
for each hole.  Check Aircraft Spruce for Clecos.

When you have the new sheet of aluminum that's the same size as the
original, lay one on top of the other and clamp together.  At this point
you want to transfer the holes from the original to the new piece so
alignment is critical.  Now, you can do this several ways. Use a transfer
punch of the correct size to tranfer the hole center to the new sheet.  You
can either drill the hole to the size of your new rivets or use a hand
punch.  You can get a hand punch for sheet metal from Northern Hydraulic
here in Virginia.  This punch has a small tip that will align with the
dimple from the transfer punch.  Real good for lots of holes plus the
punched hole is very uniform.

4. What is the best procedure for
>removing the old rivets?

So far as removing the rivets, I used a center punch in the center of the
rivet and drilled the rivet.  Sometimes the drill wants to "walk off"
center but just angle the drill back towards center.  I use a wood chisel
to remove what's left.

Hope this helps,
Garnett
2878