[VAC] Re: Is a rock protector necessary?

Charles,

If your front window is original glass, not replaced by plexiglas or Lexan,
my advice would be to use some form of rock guard over the window.  I think
the window in your '64 GT is a simple flat rectangle and probably not
extremely expensive but a trailer full of glass shards will spoil your
evening, and more if it is a rainy day.  The threat is not only from the
rear wheels of your puller but from meeting cars and trucks as well as
inconsiderate or unskilled drivers who will pass you and pull back in too
close in front of your puller.  I've had rocks flipped up and watched as
they sailed just over the cab of my puller then struck the front of the
trailer.

In March, just about a week before the Washington DC unit's Cherry Blossom
Rally, I bought an '84 31' Excella from an old friend.  The trailer had
never had a rock guard awning installed.  I knew it was a risk but didn't
have time to buy and install a rock guard before leaving for the rally.  I
pulled it to DC and MD for the rally without problem but pulling across AR
on the way back home to West TX I glanced in my mirrors one morning and was
shocked to observe a jagged 6" hole in the streetside wraparound front
window.  Another vehicle had apparently flipped a stone or chunk of truck
tire tread up and hit the window and the panel under the window.  (My puller
had large mud flaps installed.)  The curved wrap windows are tempered glass
and very expensive!

Now the trailer has a new rock guard awning installed.

Harvey Barlow