[VAC] Re: Belly pan replacement / 1960 Overlander

         Reply to:   RE: [VAC] Belly pan replacement / 1960 Overlander
Having survived the removal and reinstallation of the belly pan on the
'65 Caravel to replace the insulation, sandblast the frame, and fix all
the missing belly skin fasteners, I'm now facing the same challenge on
the '57 Flying Cloud - only worse. It is hanging down in places and full
of holes from prior owner hacks.
Armed with what I learned, it doesn't seem as scary this time. The belly
skin is thinner aluminum, and can be cut with pneumatic snips or
metal-snips.  Most seams are hidden under the lower trim and skin laps
or x-splice straps.  It contours easy, and if you mark it up, no one
will see the damage.

I would arm myself with some basic sheetmetal tools such as hole
finders, pneumatic snips & clecos, along with Olympic rivets and a
shaver.

The belly skin from another model will never fit, and the skins from
another same model will be just off enough to give you fits.

There are sources for all this stuff listed at:
http://vintageairstream.com/rr_topics_suppliers.html

Best of luck,
RJ
VintageAirstream.com