[VAC] Lock for '71 Safari

Tim,

If you are still stymied, call Oasis RV in Tucson, AZ and speak with Jay
(1-800-658-5863). Tell him what you need. He has helped me with locks on
more than one occasion. In case you don't know about Oasis RV,  they have an
uncanny way of finding parts that other dealers say don't exist anymore.

Last month, I called him from Upstate New York and told him I was sending a
lock mechanism to him for repair. He repaired it and sent it back to me.
This style of repair is a piece of cake for him.

A few years ago was the first time I asked for his help. I was standing at
his counter in Tucson.  Our Airstream was parked in his front yard. I had
just removed the lock and had it in hand. I asked, "Can you fix this lock?"

He reached up and pulled out a long, skinny box. He plunked it on the
counter in front of me. The tray had sections with multiple copies of
identical parts in each section. He reached in and pulled out the exact part
I needed, slipped it into my lock, reassembled the lock and said, "That will
solve your problem. Take it out and see if it works." I took the entire lock
mechanism back out to our Airstream, installed it and sure enough,  it
solved the problem.  It still works perfectly to this day.

When I returned to pay him, I noticed a matched pair of 40# propane bottles
in one corner of his parts department. I asked, "Would you like to swap
those 40#ers for my two aluminum 30#ers? Mine have the new valves and I can
see yours also  have the new valves." He said, "Sure, why not?" We did and I
paid a fraction of what it would have cost me to buy new Worthington 40#ers.

Why am I telling you this? All Airstream dealers are not created equal, just
as all people are not the same. When we find one that's responsive,
resourceful and capable, they get our business whether we are in town or
across the continent.  Fed Ex finds us no matter where our Airstream is
parked.  Charlie Burke at American Way (1-800-345-6651) in Boise, ID is also
astute about finding parts.

Good luck,

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net