[VAC] Re: Water heater replacement

         Reply to:   RE: [VAC] Water heater replacement
Our '57 Flying Cloud is sans Gas Hot Water, as it too only had that big
120v electric heater under the sink at one time. Since there aren't in
holes in the side on these older trailers for conventional
Suburbans/Bowen/Atwood heaters, the tankless type were/are a popular
retrofit - even back in the 1950's!
A popular Airstream option was to add the Valiant tankless heater
vertically on the shower wall, and duct the combustion gases through the
roof in one of those quaint airstream roof vent caps.  The unit has hot
water valves and outlet for the shower and a line that goes to the two
sinks.

The Valiant is nowadays made by Paloma (http://gaswaterheaters.com), and
you will see many in the late '50s trailers. There are a couple of
examples in the archives on my website. We have a German made Valiant
that will be going into the Flying Cloud that was from an original
shower option in a 1958 Traveler.

I haven't seen the box type units in place in these older trailers, but
I have as replacements for the more modern units.  Biggest obstacle
seems to be the exhausting of the gases as many units require vertical
draw. The systems I've seen required a 110v/18vAC power vent to exhaust
out the old existing vent grill in the side of the trailer.  Doesn't
make power conservation sense doing that though, and sure adds to the
noise  Maybe someone on the list knows of one that doesn't require
external power.

RJ
'57 Flying Cloud
(Still working on the e-mail problem)