[VAC] plumbing

Working on the water system in my '68 Caravel today.  The copper piping
between the fresh water tank and the head was removed in two pieces in the
process of replacing the floor.  I went to the hardware store, and picked up
some half inch couplers.  They don't fit !  Tried it on a piece of stock
pipe, no problem.  It appears the o.d. of the pipe in the 'stream is about
1/32" bigger than the standard 5/8" ?  Anybody tried this ?

Thanks.

Dan