[VAC] Re: A/C Trouble!

Hello All,
I have been following this thread with great interest. My AC saga is long and
frustrating that also includes a couple of run ins with Camping World. About
4 months ago I made an appointment to have a new unit installed in my 1968
Sovereign. When I made the appointment I told them I had an Airstream and
they said Noooooo Problem bring it in. So I show up at the Rogers, MN
location and drop it off and go to work at a clients location in St. Paul.
Before I even get to work they call my cell phone and tell me that they can't
install a new unit because its an AIRSTREAM!!!! It needs a special
PAN!!!!!!!!!! I know this I told them this and they said (4 months ago) NO
PROBLEM. Long story short they refused to work on the coach, I had a few
choice words for the manager and departed never to return to a CW location
again.

I came home ordered the AC unit (from a non-Airstream source that was $250
cheaper) and the special pan from the Airstream dealer in FT Wayne, IN. I
have the pan and as of today the AC unit is lost by the motor carrier Yellow
Freight. They tell me that they will find it sometime this week.

I will install this myself like I have had to do everything else that I have
updated on the 68. RV dealers that I have had the pleasure of dealing with
are for the most part are "Parts Changers." Do not count on them to fabricate
anything an old Airstream may need to update any of its systems. I have
learned to do it myself and avoid the cost and pain in the A_ _  that these
people have caused me. If its not an Airstream dealer you will get "its an
Airstream only part or repair" It seems to me if it is an Airstream dealer
the cost per hour is more than I pay to have a semi worked on and for the
most part the repair is not rocket science.

Now that I am done ranting, I suggest that all we have to do is ask and
someone on this list has made the repair or knows someone who has and can
tell you how to do this. I am in the process of recording the replacement of
the original AC unit on the 68 I will have photos available for everyone's
viewing and will keep detailed notes on what I have to do to get the thing on
the coach.

I have never had good luck with RV dealers working on my Airstream, and as a
matter of fact I have never had them repair anything after investigating
their abilities or as in the CW case having them tell me after they agree to
do the work that "Its an Airstream and only Airstream can work on it." Try it
your self, I have and I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed but I have
installed (or my wife) my own awning, fridge, water heater, flooring,
curtains, recovering of the sofas, polishing and many other items that I have
had to repair or replace since I have owned this labor of love.

Do it your self, call the Airstream help line, ask the members of this list,
you will be way ahead.

Ed
WBCCI/VAC 4425
1968 Sovereign (all repaired in the family)
Region 7 VAC Rep