[VAC] Re: WalMart Parking Lots

The personal guidelines we follow are:
1 - first, I ask the manager.
2 - I park along the perimeter away from the general parking area.
3 - no lawn chairs, no awning nor anything else that even hints of staying.
4 - I keep our tow vehicle connected unless it needs to be repaired (then, I
put orange cones in front of the trailer).
5 - we shop in Wal-Marts, usually serveral times.
6 - I pick up trash once or twice and bring in a few empty carts.
7 - we keep the trailer door shut and locked all the time.
8 - windows are opened but not wide open.
9 - I make it a point to touch base with other RVers in the parking lot.
10 - I thank the Day Manager in the morning before leaving.

We have always been given permission by Wal-Mart Managers to park in their
lot overnight and never once have we experienced any consternation. The same
goes for many other chain store businesses. All it takes is a bit of common
sense and courtesy.  After parking, we avoid calling any attention to
ourselves and we're alert to everything occurring around us.

Once at a 7-11, we told the police we had broken down and would be staying
overnight in the lot. They checked us several times. Our cell phone was
keyed to 911 so we could press the button in a hurry if needed. It wasn't
needed.

In spite of having only positive experiences using novel or non-traditional
overnight parking spots, we maintain low key vigilance and avoid a cavalier
attitude.  These types of parking spots are not our favorite, but we don't
shy away from them when in a bind.  Like most situations in life, after a
little practice, we became more proficient at it.

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net