[VAC] Re:

Margie, I have yet to weigh our '67 Caravel, but here's a note from the original
owner:

    "I haven't weighed the trailer in resent years, after I added the A/C,
Microwave, 5
inch Couches, the larger 30 pound propane tanks and bike rack.  I believe trailer
weight was about 2200 pounds empty and the addtions added about 200 pounds.
    When traveling I only carried 17 gallons of water maximum (10 gals in the fresh
water tank and 7 gals in the hot
water tank).
    Fully loaded the trailer axle carried about 3100 pounds, the tow vehicle carries
half the hitch weight about 250 pounds so the
gross weight of the trailer would be about 3350 pounds."

I've added a spare tire mounted on the A-frame, but not much else.
With sleeping, few cooking items, small grocery list, for practical purposes -- I
estimate ours around 3500 pounds.
We started with and killed my favorite '90 Mazda MPV van (Mazda transmissions are
known to be a bit tender).
For 2 years and a couple of 1000 mile trips we have happily towed with a '97 Toyota
Land Cruiser.
As several on the list have noted, older AStreams were built in the era of 55mph
highways and probably should not be towed much faster.  We usually stick to 60,
unless the road is really smooth and flat.  The semi rigs tend to pass us on the
flats, but we pass them on the steeper hills.

Huff