[VAC] Re: Airstream Refrigerator Removal, Burping, and Probable Replacement

Thanks, Harvey..

At 11:35 PM 7/4/01 -0500, Harvey Barlow wrote:

I notice that your guide says that since the early '80s burping a refrig was less likely to help anything.  I'm going to try supplying 110 vac and 12 vdc tomorrow just to make sure but I'm planning on a visit to Camping World next week.

        Around 1980, the cooling unit design changed to where they apply heat indirectly to the boiler, rather than directly- this is the main thing that made "off level " operation less catastrophic.

I also noticed that your guide mentioned good airflow and clean coils.  My coils had a good buildup of West Texas farm dirt built up on the coils.  I blew them clean with compressed air and an old paint brush.  There was probably not enough build up to restrict cooling but do you think that could have prevented proper cooling?

        The lower coils do have to get rid of the heat removed from the box, but I doubt that the dirt would keep it from cooling all that well- the real crucial part is the top fins, and their ability to "make" liquid ammonia.

        A funny thing about venting- the venting for refrigerators in Airstreams (at least for tall, two door refrigerators) is about the worst that you can get- simply because there is so much space between the back of the refrigerator, and the wall. But... Dometic has a very large environment chamber that they make available to manufacturers to test venting, etc., and Airstream has always used it (one of the few manufacturers to do so), and always come through with flying colors.

        An added baffle at the back of the fridge (coming out from the wall to within an inch or so of the coils) would help it work better in hot weather, though.

________

        Chris Bryant