[VAC] Re: Window replacement

Some of the early windows did allow for inside removal. Take great care to drill
out the rivets holding the inside window garnish in place and see. That garnish
is very brittle by now.

> If from the outside, how would I go about drilling them and replacing them?
> Seems like the drill would walk all over the place.  These do not appear to
> be standard home depot rivets.

The original rivets are aircraft style bucked rivets. It takes two people, one
on each side to install them. The common field repair rivet is a 3/16" shaved
head rivet commonly referred to as an Olympic rivet. To avoid drill walking you
need to center punch each before drilling. If you decide to replace the window
however, do not drill the rivet. Rather, knock the heads off and pull the frame.
Finish prepping the opening by grinding the old buck rivet stems smooth. By
doing this you will start the new window install with an edge that is not full
of holes that will not match the pilot holes in the new window frame.