[VAC] Re: Car radio

Hi,
    The problem you're having with your radio is most likely AC"noise" riding on the 12 volt DC line. When I replaced the radio in my ' 70 O'Lander, when I turned it on, the in-line filter Capacitor exploded.  When I checked the 12 VDC line with my Digital Voltmeter set on AC volts, I read 18 volts of AC. This was more than enough to fry the capacitor. When I checked each output from my converter (not a Univolt but a replacement) I found four were filtered,(less than 0.1VAC noise) and 4 wer un-filtered (18 VAC) whoever replaced the converter just hooked the wires up with no idea where they were going. The circuit that was hooked up to the unfiltered DC fed the TV antenna amplifier, (smoked that too!)  the 12 Volt convenience plug below the antenna assembly AND the radio power wiring.
    I rang out the wiring and identified the circuits and connected the filtered DC to the proper circuits. It's an easy check with a DVM, just connect your test leads across the 12 v line with the meter set to AC Volts. if the noise is greater than 1 volt, you may need some suppression. Just remember, you can't filter a very great amount of AC noise with just caps.
    S. W. Sandy
WBCCI # 4159 & VAC
Region 2 VAC Representative
1970 27' Overlander