[VAC] Re: Use Of Hydraulic-Electric Brake Controller in a Late Model Dodge Ram

Harvey,
 My truck is a 1994 Dodge w/Cummins and auto trans. It does NOT have
anti-lock brakes. The original owner was apparently a roofing contractor
because the bed is covered with tar inside; the guy I bought it from
used it mainly for towing his boat short distances.

The first owner pulled a gooseneck trailer (there's a hole in the bed
from where the hitch was mounted) and used a hydraulic brake controller.
He had removed the "rear" brake line from the proportioning block (front
connection) and installed a short piece of steel brake line that had the
appropiate male fitting for the block and a female fitting on the other
end. When he sold the truck, he removed the 'Tee' that fit between the
stock brake line and his add-on, but left the latter in place. All I did
was go to NAPA and buy the required 'Tee' fitting: 10mm F, 10mm M, side
port of 3/16" F. That short steel brake line is a purchased part, not
some home-made deal.

I have no idea why he didn't simply screw the 'Tee' fitting into the
proportioning block.

As long as the brake controller doesn't use too much fluid, it shouldn't
upset the brake system on the truck.
"It seems to me" (famous last words!) that it should be no different
than what happens with the rear brakes just before the self adjusters do
their thing vs. just after. THAT difference in fluid volume doesn't seem
to bother anything.

At any rate, this Warner controller works great, I'm quite happy so far.

                                         <<Jim>>