[VAC] Re: Use Of Hydraulic-Electric Brake Controller in a Late Model Dodge Ram

Once again, Dr. J nails it. This was the solution we landed upon...

> What about getting a replacement piece of brake line, cutting off the
> ends and then flaring them (double flare in steel line) to fit a known T
> and finding a union type fitting to fit it in between the existing line
> and the master cylinder? Surely Dodge can supply that piece of brake
> line. Then use standard fractional brake line fittings on the pipe. It
> uses up more brake fluid than a T but so long as its constant volume its
> no problem once the air is bled out of the system. I don't know about
> modern trucks, but I had no problems at NAPA or other car parts places
> getting universal replacement brake lines for my F-350 ('65) and most
> any lengths. And adapters including Ts to fit the truck parts, like hose
> ends and cylinders (which were from various eras, the front cylinders
> took hoses for a '64, the master cylinder is for a '65, the rear
> cylinders are larger than a '65 F-350 should have, probably has an axle
> from a 2.5 ton truck. Its noticeably bigger than the standard 1 ton
> axle).

Dodge don't stock 'em, though, and because they're a 'dealer part', NAPA
don't stock 'em, either... but if you're willing to wait, your dealer should
be able to get one sooner or later...

> That last time I looked for a hydraulic T was when I bought the F-350
> and then a heavy camper, about ten years ago. I found a collection at a
> RV shop located along US 61 in NE Missouri, not too far south of
> Palmira. Finding it in metric would be a severe problem. Maybe a shop
> that specializes in hydraulics. Do you have dimensions on the metric
> fitting, like diameter and thread pitch? Is it sealed by being tapered
> thread or is there a flare or is it inverted flare? or 37° JIC? I'm
> talking truck stores that deal in parts for semi tractors, not pickups.
> The fittings may be defined in a recent SAE handbook. Mine are a bit
> old, but I think the local university library has recent issues. Can you
> get Dodge to tell you a SAE specification?

The K-H has an 'inverted flare' at the controller. On mine, a PO had put a
brass fitting into it (DON'T do it), and it had fused into place. I drilled
it out to the inside diameter, left the brass in the threads in case i want
to re-tap it.

I went to eight (count 'em) eight different places - truck shops, brake
shops, rv repair shops... the rv place had about four or five different
cadmium-plated tee-fittings, none of them fit the Durango... The
inverted-flare fitting to the controller is probably more 'findable'.

Tuna
'48 Trailwind
'49 FrankenJeepster
WBCCI#8862/VAC