[VAC] Re: Split Rims '62 Bambi

         Reply to:   RE: [VAC] Split Rims '62 Bambi
It looks from your earlier website pictures that someone has already
converted to newer rims.  You can easily tell by looking at them. If
they are continuous one piece from the bead lip to the hub area, you are
OK.  The 2-part split rims themselves are not dangerous (unless they are
rusty) - it's the $7/hr chain store tire jocks who don't understand
them.  Most farm area tire shops still know how to work on split-rims.
The "danger" comes in mounting a new tire on them.  If they don't seat
the ring properly, it can separate at rapid speed as the tire is
re-inflated.  It's all a matter of training - most shops don't want to
deal with it.

As for whitewalls - I wish you luck.  I gave up last year and bought
blackwalls after spending 6 months chasing down mystical "Cooper
whitewalls", "special order" Goodyears. etc.  All I found was Coker
classic car restoration tires at $120 each and a 1500# rating.

Best of luck!
RJ
'65 Caravel
'57 Flying Cloud (with split rims)