[VAC] Re: Exhaust brakes - A word of caution

Harvey,

     The exhaust brake is turned on or off by the driver by means of a switch.  When the brake is on however, it is not activated until you take your foot off of the gas pedal.  At that time, the engine exhaust is blocked, which causes the engine to act as a brake.  This works well when descending hills, or in heavy traffic, when you might prefer your truck and rig to slow down when you take your foot off of the gas pedal.  It did not work well when I took my foot off so as to roll through the standing water.
     When the exhaust brake is not turned on, the diesel engine tends to freewheel, rather than retard the vehicle as does a gasoline engine.

-Tom