[VAC] Re: Re Packing Wheel Bearings

>My 1976  Airstream Service manual says to remove the inner bearing and
>grease seal, clean in kerosene, repack with grease and reinstall with a new
>grease seal.
>
>Is this overkill?  Or is it OK to simply repack the bearings (without
>washing) and without replacing the grease seal?

I have noticed that wheel bearing greases have different bases and are not
compatible with each other... I assume the grease breaks down or loses its
cling properties...thus the need to clean out which also washes any grit or
chips out...

>How available [locally] are these grease seals?  Do most auto parts jobbers
>or stores carry them?  If so, what make/model should I ask for?  Ditto for
>the bearings.

If the old seals have a number impressed in the metal, it's fairly easy for
an auto parts store to cross reference... unfortunately the newer seals
have a number printed on the seal that rubs off and the clerk has to go by
measurements...I was told to write the number down where I would not lose
it and I thought I'll just save a box... now I can't remember where I put
the box....When you set your new seals in, use a piece of metal or wood
that spreads the force around the whole seal... they can dent and deform to
the point where you have to chuck it and start over...

Jim Clark

jec1938@corecomm.net  78 -23' Safari... (whish I had a 25'... I think
that's called 2' itis...boaters catch the same disease...)