[VAC] Re: Newbies in Taos, NM

A 19 foot 1963 Globe Trotter weighs about 3500 when it's loaded and ready to
travel  (water, gas, food, etc.) .  It's not a very big trailer for full
time use,  but it sounds like you can camp with minimal facilities.  It
might work.   A Globe Trotter from around 1963 are probably about the same
weight.

I towed mine with an old 1968 Dodge and it drove very well ....but the Dodge
probably weighs over 4000 pounds.  It has a small (318) V8.  When I drove it
last year, I found it to be comfortable and relaxing to drive. The Airstream
towed like a charm!  In the mountains (of Pennsylvania), it didn't do as
well; it could have used more power.  Some grades were probably greater than
10 percent. It slowed to about 35 MPH on some really steep ones .     I used
to have a VW Camper so I'm familiar with holding up traffic while climbing
hills.  If you don't mind the slow pace, you will eventually get there!
Hopefully a person who owns an Explorer can tell you what to expect while
towing.

A later Globe Trotter, like my '71, weighs more like 4500 pounds when it's
loaded and ready to go. I would not want to tow that behind something like
an Explorer. It just feels much heavier and more cumbersome ....'cause it
is!  I tow that one with an old 440 (7.2L) engine because an engine that
size can tow something that weight. The '71 is maybe 900 pounds heavier than
a 1963, but it feels MUCH heavier ...at least mine does.

I spoke with a guy using a 4.3 V-6 Blazer to tow a 26 foot early 60's
Airstream. He said he needed more power. The Blazer was fine on the flat,
but struggled in a headwind or on a slope.

So, if you want something bigger than 20 feet or so, you'll probably be
happier with a bigger tow vehicle too .....like a V-8 (Magnum) powered
Durango, or equivalent.

MARC WEIMER
Punxsutawney, PA  -  Home of the Groundhog
#15767
1963 Globe Trotter
1971 Globe Trotter
http://users.penn.com/~mweimer/weimer.html