[VAC] Newbies in Taos, NM

Hello,

I’m new to the list, and while I don’t yet own an Airstream, I am
interested in purchasing one.  In order to help me with my decision, I’m
wondering if I may pose a few questions to the community, and get your
experienced feedback.

I have a 1998 Ford Explorer with the 4.0L SOHC engine and towing
package.  It produces 205 horsepower at 5000 rpm, and 250 lb. ft. of
torque at 3000 rpm.  The stock bumper can support a maximum tongue load
of 350 lbs., and a maximum trailer weight of 3500lbs.

What is the largest Airstream that I can tow behind this vehicle?  I
realize that many people modify their Airstream, but assume that it
doesn’t have oak with marble fixtures (i.e. all or mostly original).  I
also understand (from what I’ve read so far) that as the years
progressed, Airstream seems to have gotten heavier, so I imagine the
later the model, the smaller it must be.  It seems like the older
pictures often show larger, tandem-axle trailers towed behind passenger
cars.  I grant you that yesterday’s passenger car was probably stronger
than today’s SUV, but does this imply that the older models are lighter,
or more easily towed behind smaller vehicles?

We plan to become “Continuous Travelers” and will be travelling and
living in this trailer for the foreseeable future.  I’ve spent the past
few years living out of the Explorer with a tent and sleeping bag, but
have since picked up a partner with a cat and dog, so I need something
larger.  We don’t really know where to begin, so does anyone have any
tips, tricks, or advice to give the would-be vagabond living the trailer
life?

Thanks for your time,
Ted