[VAC] Refrigerator details

Hello all,
Thanks very much for the continuing stream of information. As I try to
proceed with my '71 Tradewind project I am faced with the fact that there is
hardly an aspect of it that does not need attention. (No broken glass! yahoo!
I even have spares). I bought a new water heater and while putting that
installation off I decided to check out the frig in hopes of finding that
working. No such luck. Plugging in resulted in nothing and since I had some
parts I just proceeded to replace the heater as opposed to some sensible
diagnostic procedure. I'll spare you all the details of my struggles but I
ended up pulling the thing out to work on. I happen to have a new old stock
absorption unit and was considering changing to that. This is a Dometic RM
60, by the way. I got out the circuit tester finally and ended up changing
the switch, but still no juice through the thermostat. No, actually I changed
the thermostat once before the electrical tester. Not smart, I know but I had
the luxury of throwing parts at it. Anyway, I finally got the heater going by
connecting it direct to a hot terminal and I made myself some ice cubes. So I
put in another thermostat and still no juice. This is with the control turned
to MAX. I love how the Service manuals just say "faulty thermostat- replace
thermostat" Does somebody have some experience or working details? I see the
little screw in the back of the thermostat, give it a twist and I've got
current to the heater. I've got ice cubes and a bottle of water below, not
frozen. Turning the control much below MAX shuts it off. Is there some
balance necessary between the control and the little screw in the thermostat?
Is the age of the absorption unit a possible factor? Is it in a weakened
condition causing the necessity of the heater running constantly or more than
it should? Every time I check the heater is on. I am checking actual
temperature inside now.
 I sure am looking forward to checking the gas operation.
Best Regards,
Erik Murray