[VAC] Henschen Axle

Trike, Paul, Everybody:

The Henschen Dura-Whatever Axle cost breakdown:

Bare Axle (3500lb rating)______ $ 203.13
Shock Absorber Kit__________      50.00
Brakes (mounted)____________  116.50
Freight (Jackson Ctr-Reno)_____  109.40
Grand TOTAL________________  479.03

You can specify ANYthing. Wheel mount pattern, Axle length, whatever. Heavier-rated axles are incrementally more expensive, but only like $25.00/thousand pounds or something like that. The trailer will ride a couple of inches lower than it would with the leaf-spring arrangement, but not so's to cause any serious clearance problems.

Here's the contact at Henschen:

Jason Wright (937)-596-5138 or (937)-596-6125-X119
hensales@bright.net

Note that QDS Henschen is in Jackson Center, OH. They make ALL the axles for ALL the Airstreams, and have done so for decades.

When I gave Jason the model/year and dimensions of the trailer, he didn't just take my word for it; he called over to the Airstream plant and spoke to someone who knew what i needed.
It helped, though, for them to know that i'm building a new 'truck', frame, and floor system for this trailer, so i've got some 'wiggle room'. ALSO - unlike leaf-spring suspensions, the axle does NOT need to be 'bent' for the camber - that's done at the torsion arms. Believe me, these folks know what they're doing.

I placed the order over the phone - a weekend intervened, fortunately, because i changed the wheel bolt-pattern specs twice between Thursday and Monday. About three weeks later, I got a call from Yellow Freight asking me where I wanted it delivered.

A brand-new axle, brakes, suspension - shipped - for under $500.00. A no-brainer, in my book.

Remember, this wasn't MY idea - VAC founder Bud Cooper did this with his '48 Clipper (and graciously spared an hour or so at last year's International to show me his trailer, his notes, drawings, and photos of his shell-off, ground up restoration). Bill Scott needled me about doing this, too. If you're going to do the job, do it right - and as Wally was wont to say, "Never Leave Well-Enough Alone..."
Tuna
'48 Trailwind
'49 FrankenJeepster
'62 Kaiser-Willys 'Forward-Control' 170