[VAC] Re: Body Panel Installation

Gary -

> > I just received the new aluminum panels for both
> lower
> > corners of the front of my '70 Overlander.

Did you get replacement panels, or pieces of aluminum?
 two very different things.

> > Do I need special rivets? or
> just
> > any aluminum ones?

Olympic Bulb-tite rivets made by GESIPA USA - do a web
search, and you'll find a source - they are put in
with a standard rivet tool, but the center pin
(arbor?) is designed to break off higher than the
rivet head.  You finish them (properly) by cutting the
pin off flush with the rivet head, and smooth them out
with a rivet shaver (also made by GESIPA USA)

> >What is the best way to trim the panels to
> fit and
> > how much overlap do I need?  How do I seal it up.

get some good quality tin snips (straight) for
trimming, and some metal files for smoothing - this is
the part that made me question whether you got panels,
or just aluminum - are you sure you've got the right
kind of aluminum?  You may also want to invest in
right and left hand curved aviation snips.

read either the "Metal Fabricators Handbook" or the
"Sheet Metal Handbook" available in the
automotive/transportation section of your local
bookstore - or available through HP books online.

> Any
> > other thoughts would be helpful.  I've never done
> this
> > type of repairs before and it is a daunting
> undertaking
> > for me.

I think you'll find that you may need to do some
shaping of the metal - (unless they are already made)
and in the case of the rounded portions, you may want
to take them to a local metal shop (with
specs/measurements) and have them rounded on an
English wheel.

otherwise, take the measurements, drill the holes, fit
the panel, apply aluminum colored vulkem sealant, and
start riveting.

concept: easy
execution: challenging

Were they using Glue to supplement the rivets in 1970?

Toby