[VAC] Re: trailer sway

Hi Don,

You asked "Is there anything else I can do in the meantime to stop the sway during crosswind
situations?"

Reese sells a "dual cam sway control" component that mates up with the standard lift bars. I've used
them for as long as Reese has sold them and find they do the job 99% of the time. For the other 1%
of the time, such as when navigating strong cross winds between canyons on the Interstates, I've
found that supplementing the dual cams with one or two friction bars and slowing down my speed when
approaching cross canyon openings is more than sufficient to control any tendency for sway to
develop.

I intentionally use the friction bars when 30 mph winds are forecast. Two other times when I use
them are when anticipating strong gusting winds on the plains and when gail force winds are
predicted along the coast with severe thunderstorms or tornadoes. When I'm thinking clearly, I go
out of my way to avoid dangerous weather. But, sometimes I do dumb things.

A few years ago at the WBCCI International Convention Flea Market (this year in Sioux City), these
components (used) were for sale at give away prices, i.e. dual cams $25, friction bars $10.

If you aren't going to Sioux City, but are planning to attend local rallies this Summer, ask around.
Most Airstreamers who have retired, but have been towing for many years - will have one or two
friction bars collecting dust in their garage. Their vacations are no longer all about cramming
everything into two or three weeks. Now, they can tow any old time they wish - and they choose to
tow in good weather.

My one suggestion is to keep doing your homework and don't let your money burn a hole in your
pocket. In the meantime, find a "work around" for those few occasions where you may be vulnerable to
a slight sway tendency. You never know, it may be possible to save that Hensley money and spend it
on something else (because you solved this concern another way).

Terry
mailto:tylerbears@airstream.net