[VAC] Re: Dometic gas fridge start up

Hi Cindy,

I too was puzzled by the mechanism to strike the fridge pilot.  Eventually I
figured that the rod that I was twisting to make the spark is removable.
You mentioned pushing the rod to make it spark, so you might have a
different mechanism.  However, if the metal plate that holds the rod up
front has a slot above it, you can flex the plate enough to allow the rod to
slide up.  Then, the whole mechanism can be pulled out.  At the end there is
indeed a serrated wheel just like in the old Zippo cigarette lighters.  I
found that the old flint had swelled from humidity and no longer had enough
pressure against the wheel to really make a decent spark.

Your striker rod might not be removable as my unit is a '69 Safari.  If so,
you would have to access the striker through the access hatch behind the
refrigerator, if you have an access door.  I noticed that some of the older
units vent the refrigerator inside the trailer.

The striker might not be the only problem.  Like most propane appliances,
there's a thermocouple and a button that needs to be held in position until
the flame heats the thermocouple enough for the gas supply to stay on.  Some
refrigerators have access from the rear to light the pilot manually.  It's
important that you verify that the pilot will light manually.  Once this is
done, then you'll be assured that the striker would be capable of lighting
the pilot.  If you can't light the pilot manually and you are sure that the
appliance is getting LP, then you may have to clean the jet, replace the
thermocouple, etc.

Also, be sure that you rotate the striker knob quickly and in the right
direction.  Turning it in the wrong direction can unscrew the striker wheel
from the shaft.

As I learned from this list, a burner doesn't light from the pilot as the
pilot is the burner!  All you will see is the pilot become a substantial
flame when the cooling cycle demands heat?

There are several references you should have at hand for a vintage
Airstream: Owner's Manual, Service Manual, and Bob Livingston's RV Repair &
Maintenance Manual.  You'll find that you can tackle most any
maintenance/repair with these references.

                                                   '69 Safari, Joy