[VAC] Re: Vintage haulers

Wasn't that T-bird a rather large and heavy car? ....compared to the original T-birds, I mean. I seem to remember them being nearly 5000 pounds or something ...at least I remember it weighed a lot more than I thought it should.  According to the info I have, the 1967 T-bird was the first year you could get one as a four door, so the 1968 must be a large car. The 1972 model had a wheelbase of 120 inches and weighed 4500+ pounds ....looks somewhat the same as a '68.  The 1965 had a wheelbase of 113.

As far as the issue of it being too low to the ground:
 I used a '68 Dodge Polara for a tow car.  It's REALLY low to the ground. I have trouble with the middle of the car scraping on speed bumps. When I towed my Airstream with it, the stability seemed fantastic ...but I was towing a Globe Trotter, not a Safari.  The Polara is a unibody, but the frame in the back was plenty big for a hitch..   I never looked at a T-bird, but they must be pretty sturdy too. I believe they had a full frame. The engine in the Polara is a lot smaller than a T-bird engine, but on the level, the Polara seems to have enough power ...a 318 powered Polara not the tow car for the mountains, however.  The wheelbase on a Polara is122 inches, I think.

The T-bird engine is 390 cubic inches ...or maybe 429.  It's BIG, whatever!  According to my information, a 1972 T-bird was rated to tow 6000 pounds with proper towing package. The tow package included a 3.25 :1 rear end and some extra engine cooling capacity.   I'd guess that the '68 would be the better hauler than the smaller 1966. Too bad I don't have the trailer towing literature for 1968!

MARC WEIMER
Punxsutawney, PA  -  Home of the Groundhog
#15767
1963 Globe Trotter
1971 Globe Trotter
http://users.penn.com/~mweimer/weimer.html