[VAC] Re: Anti-sway

I understand what you are saying and I believed it until I looked at the
diagram in the Tire Manufacturers Handbook. published courtesy of the
Rubber Manufacturers Assoc.  It has a diagram which show correct placement
for radials and non-radials on same vehicle.  The proof of the pudding is
in the driving.  The truck tracked beautifully after the switch was made.

This is Southern California where the rules are tough and the tire guys
usually just want to sell you new tires.  I was very surprised and pleased
when this tire guy showed me how to fix my problem for the time being.
He could have said just buy two more radials like all the other tire
guys.  He chose service instead.  I could not have afforded to buy those
radials this month.  I don't have a spare yet and am working on the mount
in preparation for that day when I can buy five new radials :)

Since you didn't even notice by observation that you had mixed tires,
>how are you going to keep the radials on the back and bias on the front?

I won't let them get switched around now that I know the formula.  As to
maximum psi, both radials and bias ply on my truck will handle up to 75
psi.  The tire guy said not to go that high because of excessive wear in
the center of the tread UNLESS I was towing a load, which I will not be
doing until I get my new tires.

There is good tread on all current tires and the truck handles beautifully now.
Thanks,
Bob

PS  There are two kinds of folks on this list.  Those who can afford to
throw money at a problem and those who have to use their wits, muscle and
spare change.  The tire shop only charged six dollars to put the tires
where they belonged.  I am not suggesting this for everyone.l