[VAC] Re: transformer/converter question

OK Jim,

I really don't understand all this, but it sort of makes sense.  As far as
the Inteli-Power is concerned, the charge wizard is a remote meter that
reads the status of the Inteli-Power as it relates to the battery.

However, the Truecharge 40+ charger/converter has about the same
performance; however, there seems to be mode selection for different types
of batteries, full output with poor AC input, etc.

There's a considerable difference in cost of the two units.  Is there a real
functional difference in the two brands?

Would a clamp-on work for DC?  My clamp on probably won't measure 1 or two
amps.

Wouldn't  you know it, my van alternator crapped out about a hundred miles
from home today.  Wasn't watching the volt meter I have plugged into the
cigarette lighter and didn't notice that the van charge meter was reading
low, lower, lower - until I guess it reached the shut down low voltage of
the computer.  Flipped the turn signal with the stop lights and the engine
died.  A quick start from a battery box gave me enough juice to make it off
the main roadway and into a Sam's Club parking lot.  Much later a friend
arrived and jumpered the batteries.  Reasoned that the alternator wasn't
shorted because the battery held some  of the charge from the first boost.
A 45 minute charge got me on the way home.  The charge voltage was 14 +
after about 45 minutes.  When the boost was disconnected, the battery
voltage dropped to 12.8, a long way from fully charged.  Had a rain storm
and had to use the windshield wiper, but didn't turn the headlights on as
required by the cops.  The battery dropped to 11.8 by the time I pulled into
the driveway.  In addition to replacing the alternator tomorrow, I'll need
to charge the battery!  Sure wish the battery would talk to me and remind me
that it's desperate for attention.  This is the second alternator that's
gone out while I've been on the road.  Not a nice project to do with a van.

Thanks for the explanation and any additional info you can supply.  Thanks
for the links as they helped also.

                                                   '69 Safari, Joy