[VAC] Re: Fw: Tradewind Tires

Jim,

If your friend decides to purchase and install GY Marathons, the equivalent size is ST225R/75-15.  In 6 ply rating, that tire is rated to carry 2540 pounds.

Personally, although A/S installs them and many are loyal to them, I think the GY is overrated.  GY claims that the ST has special rubber compound to resist deterioration from the sun etc. etc. but the first set on my '93 developed sidewall cracking at about four years of age although they had been frequently treated to Armorall protectant and had experienced a reasonable mix of use and idle time.

I bought a replacement set of GY Marathons from SAM's for the '93 trailer but won't do it again.  I put a set of GY LT 700x15 Workhorse in 8 PR on my vintage trailer.  The Workhorse tires are old-fashioned bias ply truck tires and fit nicely within the fender wells of the '66 Safari.  When purchased from SAM's Club, they come with a lifetime failure and road hazard warranty.

Oliver Fillipi, who writes on the list, advised recently that Michelin still makes the XCA 700Rx15 truck radial tire.  I am using a new set of Michelin radials on my puller and find their performance and wear is impressive.  They ride much smoother at speed.  Oliver says it is because they are molded perfectly round, not approximately round as most lesser tires are.  I'll probably buy Michelins when I buy again.

As with every other purchase, it is a personal choice.

Harvey