[VAC] "Standard Connector - Electrical"

My '76 25' Tradewind uses a gray plastic Signal Stat seven way  connector.
The female socket on
the trailer  is mounted on the front exterior.  It includes 7 round male
prongs.  The mating plug has 7 matching round female sockets.  The
electrical cable which also came with the trailer (and provides the
electrical connections between the trailer and the tow vehicle)
had the Signal Stat plug on both ends, so I installed the mating Signal Stat
socket on
the tow vehicle (identical to the one on the front of the trailer).  I am
sure these are still available.  This connector has a catch in the spring
loaded flap on the socket half which is designed to prevent the plug from
pulling out.  I don't take chances and tape the plug to the flap after
plugging in, just to make sure.

Airstream used this connector setup for many years.  I do not know when
they started using it or for how long.

The electrical connections are spelled out in your owner's manual (and the
Shop, or service manual).

 They include:
1) Ground (from tow vehicle negative battery terminal)
2) Tail/clearance lights
3) Backup lights
4) Left Stop/Directional Signal
5) Right Stop/Directional Signal
6) Electric Brake Line (from Brake Controller)
7) Charging Line (from tow vehicle alternator, or positive battery terminal)

Factory installed HD towing option packages now seem to come complete with a
connector (older ones came with the wiring, but no connector).  As long as
the factory installed tow vehicle connector has seven terminal positions
(there is nothing sacred about having to use a Signal Stat connector at the
tow vehicle), simply attach the trailer leads (on the trailer to tow vehicle
cable) to the tow vehicle mating plug so as to align the trailer wiring with
the appropriate terminals on the tow vehicle receptacle.

If you have to wire into the tow vehicle's harness(don't have the heavy duty
towing package), the easiest way is via an adapter which is marketed by
Reese and other hitch or accessory companies.  It is a multi-conductor
electrical tee which taps into the tow vehicle's wiring harness at the rear.
This is a convenient way to get the tail, brake and directional signals (and
perhaps the backup lights).  You will want to run your own HEAVY  gauge
Charging line(No. 8 AWG), Ground [from the negative terminal of the tow
vehicle battery - no fuse or circuit breaker on it](No. 8 AWG), and Brake
line (I used No. 8 AWG) from the brake controller.  I enclosed them in a
spiral wrap-around cable sheath for greater protection.  To connect the
charging line and ground wire to the tow vehicle battery with side mount
battery cables, use the replacement battery cable screws (available at
trailer/RV suppliers) which include a binding post on the other end, and put
crimp on eye fittings on the wires ( I also soldered mine for extra
insurance, and put heat shrink insulating tubing over the exposed portion of
the crimp connector at the wire end.)

Oliver Filippi