[VAC] Re: Electrical Independence

It may have been an inefficient use of fuel but I recall my dad while
house building in 1947 and 1948 used his '33 Ford V-8 to run a concrete
mixer. Often all day weekends. He'd drive it to a certain spot, block
it, and jack up the left rear wheel, then couple a piece of pipe to the
axle nut, and anchor it to the wheel spokes with apiece of cotton
clothesline. The Ford would run all day with the hand throttle pulled
out to 18 mph, and my mom would mix concrete or mortar that they'd pour
or use to place concrete blocks. It may not have been fuel efficient,
but it was efficient in use of resources when there was no electricity
to the building site and no handy spare gas engine to mount on the
concrete mixer.

Constant voltage charging with considerable current capability will be
more effective at charging than the limited 12 volt DC output of many
commercial generators. E.g. from the alternator and engine. Whether that
alternator is on a retired lawn mower engine or the tow vehicle engine.
Yes, some fancy scheme to push up the charging voltage as the battery
charges to keep the current up will charge in less time but if not
controlled carefully will cost in battery life.

Gerald J.