[VAC] Re: Brake controllers

Bob:
The wires associated with the brakeing come from the controller... back
in the good old days, (60's) the light and turn wires were
spliced in where ever the installer could find them... I remember him
digging behind the panels of my station wagon to find the light
wires....When factory trailer packages became popular the mfg's started
running the wires with the wire harnesses...

I think you might find that the trailer hauling business is more
expensive than you are willing to get into at this point... one accident
and your trailer friend will own your truck and maybe your trailer
too...you might want to go so far as to set up a corporation that can
shelter your personal property...Let XYZ towing ( a limited partnership)
do the towing and you go along to help drive...( I can hear
the plaintif's lawyer now... "Why your honor, the truck they were using
was 35 years old.!!!, no wonder they broke an axle, lost a
wheel and wrecked a vlaued family heirloom trailer....the loss of which
has caused unbearable pain and suffering to my client,, )
Some good deeds are just not worth the risk....At the very least get the
trailer owner to sign an agreement stating he understands
the risk and limits the damage claims to 100.00 regrardless of what
happens...the owner should be able to understand that you are
not a full time puller and don't carry the kind of protection that will
cover every crazy thing that might come along and damage his
trailler regardless of whose custody the law might think the trailer was
in at the time...(like acts of God, war, civil unrest and all the
other things contracts protect you against...)  You need a lawyer now to
make sure you can afford one when you really need one...

As usual... Best of Luck..
Jim Clark