[VAC] Re: Brake controllers

Bob,

I don't think that you understand. The brake controllers we have been
talking about are hydraulically activated brake units that send an electric
signal to your trailer's electric brakes. Because of this it is compatible
with any trailer that has electric brakes. If your trailer does not have
electric brakes I would highly recommend switching them over.

The hydraulic part is only for determining when and how much electric
current goes to the trailer's brakes. Your other options are a timed
electric controller or a pendulum activated controller.

There used to be available actual hydraulic trailer brakes that tied into
the tow vehicles brake lines, but these have LONG ago disappeared. I do not
think that anyone was talking about one of these setups.

About the wiring harness, wire it in the modern configuration. If it does
not match how your trailer is wired, open up the trailer's plug and change a
couple of connections so that it does match modern, this way you will be
able to tow any other travel trailer without rewiring. Since you will be
needing the plug for the truck's end, you may want to go ahead and get a new
one on the trailer's end.

If the other trailers that you are talking about are horse, boat or utility
trailers there is a 7 to 4 adapter that just plugs in to your truck that
allows the lights on these trailers to work without rewiring. Assuming that
your truck is wired to modern.

I believe that Champion Trailers has a diagram online on trailer plugs, but
I do not remember the URL.

Scott Scheuermann