[VAC] Re: Safe camping

I am a single woman and have camped alone with no fear for the past 25 years.
 I don't carry a gun either!  You must be aware of your surroundings the same
way you would when in a city - pay attention to your gut feelings about
people and just be cautious when you are in unfamiliar territory. I try to
get settled before dark. I have found that KOA or Good Sam campgrounds are
well lighted and safe because there is someone on the premises.  The camping
experience is not always the best, close to highways, towns, railroads, but I
usually feel safe there.  National park campgrounds are most always full and
so there is safety in numbers.  If a campground is partly empty I look for a
sight near a couple, preferably middle aged with a dog.  I try to avoid
groups of young people that look like they are out to party - young folks
with canoes or bikes on their cars and dogs are usually pretty good company -
motorcycles and beer bottles usually mean a party - not that they are bad
people, but their lifestyle and mine may not be compatible. In all the time I
have been camping I can remember only a few times that I have felt a little
wary, usually when I was tent camping.  In my Airstream I always feel I am in
a snug retreat.
Go out and have fun, be carefully friendly, and you will meet nice people -

Just Plain Polly
1964 Globe Trotter
Colorado
WBCCI 7113