[VAC] Re: Rot and Resin

There has been much discussion about using a penetrating resin to repair
rotted wood -particularly floor panels.

The two most common resins are polyester and epoxy. Both are chemically
cured with a catalyst and do not need exposure to air to harden.  Epoxy is
much more expensive than polyester (and requires more careful handling since
it is more toxic).

However, epoxy is far superior since it is one of the strongest and
tenacious adhesives known.  Its superior penetrating ability is also a
positive asset in this application as well.  If you wet the rotted (or
what's left) fibers, down to the structurally sound material, with a good
epoxy, this stuff is not going to let go, and the rot will not get into the
sound material (from the epoxy saturated side anyway)!

The bottom line, spend the extra money and use the epoxy product.

Many years ago, I used to by resins and marine supplies from a mail order
firm in Port Chester, NY, called Defender Industries.  I don't know if they
are still in business, but they were far and away the most reasonable and
carried a wide variety of resins, fiber glass and related products.  They
did a very large business and had an excellent inventory.  Hopefully they
are still around.

Oliver Filippi