[VAC] Re: Water Heaters

Hi Jim,

I replaced the 10 gal LP Atwood in my '69 Safari with a 6 gal LP/EL Atwood.  I don't know that I'd recommend completely following my installation, but it worked very well for me.

I put the 6 gal on a raised platform (about 4 inches).  This moved the exterior flange to the top of the original cutout.  I installed a couple of aluminum angles across the bottom, one at the floor level and the other to secure the bottom of the exterior flange.  To close the opening at the bottom, I used a section of skin about 4 inches.  If you look at  the proposed installation, the trim strip will cover most of the patch and the water heater door will cover the upper portion of the patch.  Besides, if you drop the water heater to the floor you'll have to remove a section of the trim strip to allow for the door!

I don't know for sure, but I think it's possible to use both the EL and the LP simultaneously when  rapid heating is essential?  I'd appreciate knowing if I have an improper thought!

                                                                   '69 Safari, Joy