[VAC] Re: Trouble with termites?

Steve,

I have not seen or heard the issue of termite attacks on Airstreams
discussed on the list but I suppose it shouldn't come as a great surprise.
The floor is, after all, wood and termites are a fairly serious threat in
some parts of the country.

The floor is not only weight bearing as Tuna advised but it is also a
structural member and part of the overall strength of the trailer.

The repair is simple but not easy if it is widespread.  You can remove all
of the interior cabinetry, bed/couches and appliances to access the damage
if required.  The floor could be replaced in only the damaged areas.
Another possibly more practical solution would be to simply apply epoxy to
the damaged area to strengthen the damaged areas and to repair the actual
holes.

The use of polyurethane(?) resin is inexpensive and fairly common in A/S
wood floor repairs.  A self described old boat builder named Jim Smith who
contributes on the list advised me to use penetrating epoxy resin because it
will soak into the wood fiber and completely fill the holes, voids, and
cavities and "attach" to the existing floor before it cures.  I followed his
advice in repairing a wet rotted area in the rear compartment of my  '66
Safari.  The only problem I found with the repair method was that the
penetrating epoxy resin will run through the floor and drip on the floor
unless the bottom side is completely covered by some means.  I even
sandwiched an additional layer of 1/4" plywood under the existing floor and
the penetrating resin found openings to escape through.

Good luck in your floor repair.

Harvey Barlow
Lubbock, TX
WBCCI # 1171, WDCU, VAC