[VAC] Re: What does the group think ??

James,

My opinion:

If this is your first travel trailer I would highly suggest finding one that
is ready to roll. You can purchase a project a little later on when you are
more familiar with what you really want in a trailer.

The size you want will depend upon how you intend to use it, how many people
will be with you and how much stuff you will want to take with you. My wife
and I inherited our 1960 26 footer and while we find it large for weekend
getaways but are very comfortable in it for 2-3 month trips. Since you are
looking into full timing I would suggest not going any smaller.

Weaknesses of that particular trailer are straight forward and unfortunate
(in my mind). A new door hinge would need to be fashioned by a craftsman.
The interior. If you do buy this particular trailer be aware that the frame
and running gear were most likely only designed to hold about 5000 pounds.
So don't plan on going overboard with heavy additions.

If I understand correctly Iowa Boys are in the business of restoring
trailers. They are passing on this one, I would want to know why. Perhaps it
is only because most of their customers want a smaller trailer. They also
tend to be high priced when compared to the market in my area (Ohio). If  I
could find that same trailer with an intact interior and everything in
decent working order I would still expect to pay no more (and hopefully
less) than what they are asking for that one, but your local market is
different from mine.

But if this is what you really want, you know what you need in the trailer,
and you have the time, go for it.

Scott Scheuermann