[VAC] Re: Transmission Oil Temp and Use of OD

Jim:

Agree about the light-duty transmissions one finds. Best advice I could get,
from a very large, very old trans shop, was to let the gears do the
reduction, not the torque converter. SHift the trans manually, they told me,
letting the engine wind up pretty well, then ease off the throttle during
the upshift, then wind it up in the next one. They say what really wears
things out is running the torque converter at full stall, as when you're in
too high a gear with your foot well down on the throttle. Or as when you're
doing slow speed maneuvering, which as others have noted can cook trans
fluid with surprising speed--even with a cooler, as air flow is pretty
minimal compared to running on the road.

Dan
86 Caprice Wagon (160K, original trans, never rebuilt, Hayden cooler)
75 Argosy 28