[VAC] 1969 Caravel Blackwater Tank

On our 1969 Caravel, the blackwater tank has the
following appearance as it protrudes into the rear
compartment.  Heavy walled plastic, bluish-green in
color, with a 3/4 in. plywood top.  My question is,
"is this original".  I thought it was a replacement or
makeshift, but Adam in Florida says his 70 Caravel has
the same arrangement.

The one time we have used Sylvia, I sensed an odor
around the rear inside and figured it came from the
tank.  The top does not appear to be sealed down, only
held by friction.

If, further investigation reveals the need to replace
the tank, my plan is to build one out of marine
plywood and epoxy.  Years ago when interested in
cruising sailboats of wood or glass construction,
there were lots of articles about building water and
fuel tanks with this method to fit irregular spaces.
Today when building wooden boats they refer to it as
stich and glue, panels are held with small ga. copper
wire and epoxied, the the wire is removed and the
joints taped with fiberglass and more epoxy.  Marine
plywood is up to Loyds standards which withstands
boiling and freezing without delaminating.  My
thoughts are that it would be strong, just exactly the
shape needed, as durable or more so than plastic and
comparitively inexpensive.

Carole and Rob
San Diego
69 Caravel "Sylvia"