[VAC] Invertors / transformers

One big use of my invertors is to charge batteries or provide power for
transformers:

Firestorm 14.4 volt cordless drill
Sony battery charger for camcorder
Notebook computer - 19 volts
cordless phone - 12 volt
message machine - 9 volts

I have a couple of questions. Are there circuits that will convert the
Airstream battery voltage from 13.5? to the other voltages? Is the 14.4 volt drill
OK to charge by just cutting out the transformer and running it directly
from DC?

I would love to cut out the transformer on my cordless phone because with
the San Diego blackouts the cordless is useless. Powered by the DC batts
the phone should continue to work. Correct?
Bob