[VAC] fan switch

All
I've recently replaced a fanswitch to the bathroom fan in a 1970 31'
sovereign.  The previous switch was a fused mass of corrosion.  I went to
home depot for what I thought was a suitable replacement.  It worked on dc
but when I hooked it up to the house it faulted the GFCI.  The switch is
mostly plastic, previous one was all metal.  Was the grounding performed by
the switch contacting the metal?  Any thoughts or leads on where to get a
suitable replacement switch?  Amazing that the fan still works, the previous
owner hadn't used it for 10 years!