[VAC] Re: an electrical question

Scott,

I don't claim to have the experiences or knowledge that Dr. G has; however,
I do have a bit of experience with GFI.

When I started to redo my 55 year old house service, I wanted GFI protected
outlets that might be consistent with present code.  The romex throughout my
home is imbedded in the plaster and is stapled to the cement block!  I
didn't understand GFI and trashed a lot of walls before I found out that the
GFI doesn't need the ground connection to work properly.  This brings the
circle to your A/S.

Dr. G mentioned that GFI could resolve your shock risk.  GFI seems to
interrupt the circuit when there's a difference between the hot and neutral.
It seems irrelevant if the A/S skin makes a good ground or not for each
receptacle if each receptacle is in a GFI circuit.  I recommend just
replacing  the two prong with three prong receptacles and grounding to the
electrical box.  A small plug in tester will tell you if the circuits are
properly connected/grounded, etc. It doesn't seem necessary in this case to
run a new ground line.  15 amp GFI can be purchased for about $8 each.  A
single GFI can protect several downstream receptacles.  The service manual
indicates that many of the receptacles are sequential.

                                                     '69 Safari, Joy