[VAC] Re: Tow Vehicle Connector Wiring

My husband had the diagram for the truck's harness, so we opened up the
plug on the trailer end and started connecting wires and checking to see if
they were doing what we thought they should.  It went something like
this:  10 year old son (feeling very big to be in the driver's seat) was
instructed to step on the brake after dad hooked up what he thought was the
brake wire.  Mom checked to see if the brake lights came on, if not we
moved on to the next spot to connect the wire.  Basically my husband had
some idea what some of the wires went to, but the brakes had been crossed
with something and the ground was connected to something else...you
know.  It was a matter of trial and error, but if you are patient you'll be
okay.  Do make sure to turn the truck off when making the connections
though, wouldn't want this to be too shocking!  When this happened to us we
were on a trip to pick the trailer up 750 miles from home.  We were afraid
we had something wrong with our brakes (they were locking up) and had to
figure out what was wrong before making the trip home (through Yellowstone
no less).  Once we realized it was just a problem with the wiring it was
just a matter of trial and error before we got it all fixed.  Good luck.
Jodi