[VAC] Re: Heater, safe and reliable

It has been my personal experience that electric heating (while effective) is not energy efficient.  From September 1999 - December 2000 I used a 1500 watt space heater while connected to AC power.  The same unit was useless while travelling, unless I paid $25 per night for a full hookup.

Then in March 2000 I purchased the small catalytic heater (WAV3) for $200 at Camping Word.  It is my opinion that this low pressure gas heater is much more cost efficient than the electric.

With the gas heater my electric bills dropped from $50 per month to $15.  My propane bill had very little increase.  No more than $10 per month . . . if that.

Catalytic heaters are completely quiet, using no fan.  There are plenty of spots in the average Airstream coach to tap into the LP gas system.  I had a capped LP gas plug near the corner of my galley.

My immediate plans are to remove the stock "Everflo" heater and use the vast space left under the galley to store the batteries for my upcoming solar system.  By balancing the energy load between DC appliances, propane and a small number of low wattage AC appliances Airstream owners have an excellent chance to achieve energy independence while maintaining a modern lifestyle.

When I was an Air Force technician the slogan was "the right tool for the right job".  I believe that propane is the "right" heat source for trailers on the go.  If you leave your Airstream permanently parked :( than electric heaters are effective but expensive.

As to safe . . . it is a crazy term that has little connection to the living process.  Nothing is truly safe but a small opening in a window will ventilate any emissions from the gas heater.  My dog, Maile and I have had no adverse effects from continuous use of the propane catalytic heater.

Bob